Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Idol - March 27 - The Song Reviews

Ok, first the intro. I've been watching Idol this season religiously b/c my wife is so into it. Ok, Ok. I admit, I like it too.

I'm going to review the songs/singers/etc. each week on the first night and then on the second review the results. I'll give you my pick for who should go as well.

Lakisha
Amazing how Ms. Soul figures out how to make the Rockin' week and still pick a soul/disco singer and pull it off.

Chris Sligh
I'll see this is his worst performance EVER. He totally destroyed a classic and to be Simon for a moment, he was a complete "lounge act". I think that he totally lacks the energy. I had the mental image of Sting and the lads bouncing up and down like Flee from the Red Hot Chili Peppers. And Chris? Damn! Could he be any more reserved? I really could barely watch it. It was this performance that really sparked the creation of this blog. I hope he gets kicked off just for murdering such a great song.

Gina
Wow! a ballad from the rock chick and while it took me awhile to get past what in my mind was a lost opportunity for her to rock out like she did w/ Pat Benatar a few weeks ago, she nailed the vocals like she's never done before and deserved the accalaids of the judges. This time.

Sanjaya
What the Fuck's w/ the hair!!!!!!?????!!!!!!!
I just can't take him seriously at all. And the song???? What the heck is with the song choice?
Seriously, he really can't sing and despite last week's passable performance, the hair, the bad singing ... I mean talking ... he really has to go. Now the question is should Chris go more than Sanjaya. To be honest, I think Chris tortured a much more important song.

Haley
Well she definitely keeps me lookin' at her. I think her voice needs to be much more uplifting, louder, bolder, confident. She still doesn't give her voice the same command that her physical presence captures. Great vocals, but just a tad toned down. The changes to the song arrangement and melody threw me and it was hard to keep track of. I thought Simon was a bit harsh, with the unforgettable, but definitely right on with the "have to do much better".

Phil Stacy
Great song and good use of gruffiness in the tone, but his playing with the melody is not workin' for me. His voice floods the ears well, but his body should be more upbeat. What is it with the guys? Can none of them dance or move their legs or SOMETHING? ANYTHING? Just give me more energy.

You go Paula!!!! Tell him that he needs a more complete performance!
The judges are not being critical enough. Simon, shame on you!


Melinda
I really think the soul sisters are cheating this round. Doing disco/soul songs with Gwen should be a demerit in my mind. It shows they don't stretch. Sure she can bang this out. She always bangs this out. Melinda ... darlin' ... time to stretch into something less comfy to show that you are MORE than just Detroit groove.

But besides this ... I love Melinda and really think she is da'bomb. She performs like no one else on that stage as a complete act. Why can't others fill a stage or stadium like she can?

Blake
Anyone who pulls of the Cure on national TV is alright by me. Point winner right there.
But I have never liked Blake's voice. It lacks a fullness and is flat, not in pitch, but in tone. The real song is much more up. He just isn't filling me up as I listen to it.
Thank G-d! he didn't box to the Cure ... Robert Smith just said "Whew!"
Please Paula ... get a clue!!!!
Well, being a front running guy is something to reference Simon, but I actually like Phil more.

Jordin
Wow! taking on the artist's own song.
The clothes just have to go though. I'm sorry she is so not a Mary Ann!
This is one of her worst performances. She's having fun, but the energy off. Not low, just off.
She had some pitchy vocals, but I think she wowed the judges.
but I think "The Dog" is right to applaud her b/c she stretched!!!!!! Kudos for that.

Chris Richardson
wow! Gwen must be crying back stage or something like that. No energy, poor vocal tone. I'm sooo over this guy. But he is pulling off the ending, just before the slow down. Better than Blake, Sanjaya and Sligh, but not up to my par.


The week in review.
bottom 3 are Sanjaya, Sligh, and Haley (with maybe Richardson).

If I HAD to pick someone to go, it has to be Sanjaya. I'm sorry Howard Stern, but stop the madness and just let us mercifully ask him to say adieu.

Well, come back tomorrow for more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home